Friday, April 22, 2011

Postcard Swap [2] - More Layers

Busy week. So many things on the 'to do' list and not enough time to get them done. This post, however late, will be checked off the list! (note: picture heavy post! click the pictures to get a better view) In case you missed it, click HERE for my first 2011 ihanna postcard swap post.

Okay, so here's where we left off...layers of gesso and newspaper... I had no real plan as I was making these. I had an idea of what I wanted the finished piece to look like, but wasn't sure how I was going to get there. 'The Plan' evolved as I tried techniques, played with product and drank lots of hot chocolate with whipped cream (needed the caffeine - my excuse, anyway!)


I wanted more color, so out came my Adirondack Colorwashes. Sprayed a few times...loved the color, but somehow it wasn't enough. (using Eggplant) After a a bit of consideration, I had decided that my postcards would be different colors. (At this time I had 12 colorwashes. I only needed to complete 10 postcards, but hey, what's 2 more?!)


Thought it needed more texture. White acrylic paint...put a bit on the craft sheet and sprayed it with the colorwash. (I didn't mix it.)


Used cut up sponges dipped in the paint/colorwash mix and dabbed it over the entire card. (using Wild Plum) Don't forget you can pick up what's left on the craft sheet with a  manila tag, cardstock panel or even fabric and build up your stash of papers, tags and fabric for that next project!


I did forget to take a picture when I started to apply the shimmer sprays! After I applied the paint/colorwashes, I waited for them to dry overnight. (I could have used the heat gun to speed up the dry time, but I didn't want the paint to bubble, if it got too hot.) I sprayed each of the cards using a coordinating color of some kind of shimmer spray : Glimmer Mists and Perfect Pearls Mists. This added more colors and a wonderful depth and richness to the backgrounds!

The mists dry so quickly, so I hit them with the heat gun. Next, I got out the water and spritzed a piece of bubblewrap and 'stamped' it over a section on the card. Wetting the colorwash reactivates it and the color in the wet areas began to migrate, leaving the bubblewrap images. I left it for about 5-10 seconds (until I liked what I saw) and then dried it with my heat gun to stop the process and leave the imprint. (If you leave it to air dry, you will lose some of the definition as wet color tends to blend outward and will become softer in appearance - sometimes desirable!)


By not cleaning the bubblewrap between postcards, I was able to introduce more color onto the next postcard without much fuss. Notice the clean craft sheet? (check out the above photos, if you didn't...)


Bonus Picture! I've been asked many times just how easy is it to clean a teflon craft sheet...

You won't believe how easy!

Have a trash can nearby. Liberally spray the sheet with water. Give it a sec or two and then grab that used iTunes, gift or credit card and simply (gently) scrape off the mess! You won't need much elbow grease to move off whatever was on the mat.

Seriously. Melted embossing powder, glue, acrylic paint, adhesive...just scrape it off the mat into the can! Give it one more spray of water and wipe clean. (I use bar mop-type towels. Washable (in their own load) and reusable. I love using my artsy towels - they just add color to my studio!)




I was really liking how these were turning out! Tried a little more texture on a few postcards using gesso and some found items (that plastic ring is what's left when you finish off a roll of clear tape. And yes, that is a crayola...ahem...borrowed from my kids paintbrush...) but for the most part I was pretty pleased!


Another night to dry well. More texture. I was getting down to the wire on time, so I made the decision to finish off the cards in similar ways while making each one unique. Here I stamped the Paris collage, turning it various ways, not being careful to ink the entire stamp so that it left gaps and lighter text in some areas. (stamped in black Archival Ink) I only stamped over a portion of each postcard.


The Archival Ink is waterproof, so I was able to use a few more techniques on the cards before I called them done. I swiped some of the edges with extra spray, paint or gesso. Even added some drippage with the colorwashes...I flicked water or color onto some...basically just played around with each postcard until I loved what I saw.


Whew. Still with me? It's 0025. That's as in a.m. I'll get my finished postcards on here soon. And the rest of the postcards I received, too!

If you have any questions, let me know!

Inky hugs,
Angi

(If you're reading this post on Facebook, please visit my blog http://makingmayhem.blogspot.com to leave a comment!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to stop by and visit! I read all of the comments and appreciate your thoughts. May all your Mayhem be crafty messes...inky hugs!