Happy Monday! It's a beautiful day, so I'm going to whip this recipe out in a hurry...
Wonderful, easy pound cake with a light lemon flavor. I've added some notes at the bottom.
(This recipe adapted from Recipezaar.com #31500)
3/4 lbs. butter, softened (1 1/2 sticks)
2 cups sugar (original recipe calls for 3 cups)
3 cups all purpose flour
2 Tbsp. lemon juice (I used bottled, original recipe calls for lemon extract)
3/4 cup 7up
lemon juice - to taste & consistency, about 1 Tbsp.
1. Preheat oven to 325 F
2. Grease/spray pans. (I used 4 3x6x2 inch loaf pans.) Cut parchment paper/waxed paper to fit the bottom of the pan and spray. Do not skip this step, especially if you use the full amount of sugar!
3. Cream butter and sugar together.
4. Add eggs, 1 at a time, mixing well after each.
5. Add flour and lemon juice.
6. Add in 7up.
7. Spoon batter in prepared pans.
8. Bake for 50-60 minutes. Cool in pan(s) for 10 minutes. Run a knife around the edges to help loosen the cake.
8. Mix powdered sugar and lemon juice together and drizzle cake when cooled.
That's it! Enjoy!
Notes: The original recipe calls for 3 cups of sugar. This is how I made it the first time around. It was delicious! Sweet and lemony, tasted very much like lemon bars without the lemon layer. Edges were chewy. Did not even use the glaze.
Second time made with less sugar...yummy! Lighter, with a lovely crumb. Softer edges. Heavenly with the lemon glaze!
This recipe would be very adaptable for other flavors...use a different flavor of fruit soda...let me know if you try any!